8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - Drive-In Night Update: The Law Visits Luke (Cool Hand)

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: Drive-In Night Update: The Law Visits Luke (Cool Hand)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:19 pm 

So my son stopped by for a weekend visit from Vermont and of course we enjoyed a "drive-in night" in the backyard. It was his first time to see the giant inflatable screen in action (he was mighty impressed.) The film fare consisted of a short "POSSUM OH POSSUM" in stunning LPP color followed by one of my son's favorite features of all time COOL HAND LUKE. Things are going nicely; the print is gorgeous Agfa color with scarcely a blemish anywhere. Well, about halfway through, I see flashlights coming my way from the street. Yeah, the law. In all my years of doing these shows in my backyard, this was the first time someone complained. The cop was professional, polite and young. Upon seeing Luke up on the screen, he immediately asked "Hey, what IS that movie??" I told him it was COOL HAND LUKE and he nodded approvingly. We lowered the sound, the gang moved closer to the screen (which they liked--enjoying the huge images) and the night ended without furthur incident. AND, nope, no photos but I do so wish I had had the thought to record the cop visit.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Drive-In Night Update: The Law Visits Luke (Cool Hand)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:35 pm 
Site Admin

Chris, what you had there was "failure to communicate" or maybe someone was "shakin' them bushes". [set5_b/set5_b/smilielol5.gif]

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:19 am 

Good news was, I didn't have to spend a night in the box

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:03 pm 
Film Expert

Seriously? How loud were you guys? It couldn't have been all that much, right? Was it after 10PM? I've wondered what I would do if a neighbor complained, but we try to invite all the ones right around us. Makes me nervous, Chris, but glad it turned out OK.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:51 pm 

Bill, we were loud enough to annoy someone into calling the police--yeah, it was a bummer. I've been doing shows for about 15 years in the back yard and always maintain order and reasonable sound. What's to say? I guess some people really do go to bed at 10 o'clock Saturday night

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:14 pm 
Film Expert

How sad that one person had to complain. A few weeks ago I showed the unedited copy of Any Given Sunday in my heavily occupated part of town in the back yard on 16mm. All the cursing and nudity were present in the print but everyone in the neighborhood brought their lawn charis over to watch it with no complaints. I was showing the print clear from the main road so no one that wanted to see it passed by. Ended up with about 65 people who wanted to watch it on a 25' wide screen. No complaints here. Everyone had a great time with the start of football season. High five's and beers were shared with all.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:53 pm 
Film Expert

Hey Chris, next time have a stag reel night and end it at 9:59 p.m. [set5_b/set5_b/boxing_smiley.gif]