8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - How do you remove this from ELMO St800

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: How do you remove this from ELMO St800
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:13 pm 
Film Expert

I need to remove this control panel from my ST 800 Elmo. I have out all of the screws that I can find but although it is lose it won't come off. Seems to be still stuck somewhere just right of the main control knob.

Attachments:
003.JPG
003.JPG [ 179.61 KiB | Viewed 1837 times ]
 Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: How do you remove this from ELMO St800
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:37 pm 
Film Expert

Hi Roger,

There are three screws in the bottom of the plastic housing going into the machine's frame. There is a fourth through a metal bracket, and you need to pull the knob off the shaft.

It's been a while since I had this one apart, but I believe you will need to take off that big green guide that climbs up the hill to the takeup reel to see this fourth screw. (Not bad: just a couple of screws, and please pay attention to that spring under the botttom sprocket when you loosten the one that holds it and the guide. It needs to go back exactly the same way it was before we showed up!)

(Is there something wrong?)

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:11 pm 
Film Expert

Thanks Steve,

I did remove the bottom 3 screws and also the upward guide. I am aquainted with that lower spring and how it mounts but thanks for reminding me to watch. I will take a second look behind the guide to make sure that I didn't miss a screw. I called myself looking carefully and thought maybe there might be something holding it inside.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:08 pm 
Film Expert

Found the last screw and got inside. A spring has popped out and I'm not quite sure how it goes. It creates tension causing the red button to return to it's original position.

Attachments:
006.JPG
006.JPG [ 131.74 KiB | Viewed 1819 times ]

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:47 pm 
Film Expert

I think I remember that spring!

The record button pushes a flat steel linkage. The linkage has a slot cut in it which is open on one side, resulting in a thin (ummm) protuberance (-didn't imagine myself using that word whan I got up this morning!) along the side which the spring slips over.

When everything is assembled the spring is compressed when the button is pushed in, resulting in the linkage and button popping back out when the machine is released from recording mode.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:41 am 
Film Expert

Steve,

Would you mind removing your lamp cover a taking a photo or two of that mechanism behind the uphill film guide?

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:23 pm 
Film Expert

One thing I did (re)learn in the process is that slot in the linkage actually slips over a nub in the sound board cover and this is how it is located yet allowed to slide. The return spring you are interested in is actually located on the next linkage further forward which the one we've been discussing engages. This one slides in a bracket located under the framing knob and it and the bracket have attachment points for the spring.

You will be able to see all this by taking that uphill guide off and looking in the neighborhood of the framing knob and lower sprocket. It has two Phillips head screws.

I took some pictures, but I couldn't upload them. ("The extension not allowed"?)

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:00 am 
Film Expert

Got it back together but never did get it to function correctly. I would need a manual to do it right. It doesn't interfer with projecting film but recording only and I never record anyway. I simply use it to view film.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:42 pm 
Film Expert

Operations manuals are pretty common for the ST-800. I'm sure service manuals existed back in the day, but I've never seen even a hint of one ever since I actually needed to see one!

I can generally get by with the mechanical things: most of what goes on is pretty common sense stuff.

Where I run into trouble is circuit documentation. If I had a set of schematics and a parts list I could troubleshoot dead boards, replace a couple of cheap parts and return them to service. Without them the best I can do is replace the whole board.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:48 pm 
Film Expert

My problem is that the button is suppose to push in lock in place and then push again and release. I did find a spring below the focus knob but it is still in place. I have no idea what the spring that fell out did or how to get the button to push in hold and then push and release.