8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - Prolonging Lamp Life

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: Prolonging Lamp Life
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:42 am 
Film Expert

If your dichroic reflector lamp, such as the EFP 12volt 100watt (known in the UK as A1/231) fails to work, don't throw it away immediately. Check the pins.

Over time, the small pins suffer from oxidation, this can be recognised by the pins being steely grey (or even black) in colour, this prevents the current of over 8 amps from flowing.

The answer is to clean off the pins and bring them back to their original shiny state. I gently scrape the pins with a scalpel or small hobby knife. I am told that your wife's emery nail board will also do the trick.

But from the start, it may be obvious why the lamp doesn't light such as the filament broken and loose within its envelope.

If you have a test meter with an ohm range you can check the continuity before you take the trouble to re-install the lamp.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Prolonging Lamp Life
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:50 pm 
Site Admin

Excellent advice! The emory board I have used many times to clean electrical contacts.

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:28 pm 
Film Expert

The oxidation on EFP bulbs is common especially on NOS lamps because they were coated with a thin layer of silver. I cleaned the last one off with a pocketknife and works fine now. It was an older NOS lamp recieved with a projector I recently purchased as a replacement bulb. Even new when it was installed I got nothing at first, when I took it out and looked at the pins they were pretty much black. Scraped them off and reinstalled the lamp and it has worked perfect ever since. These lamps do die pretty dramatically though and usually you can tell it's burnt out because the last one I had blow turned the bulb itself completely white and even burned the reflector.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:52 pm 
Film Expert

If the bulb's terminals are silver plated, I use a chemical called MS-70 Industrial Coin Brightener. It is made for cleaning silver coins. Just dip a cotton swab or a cloth or rag in the MS-70 and wipe it on the bulb terminals. Cleans the tarnish right off.