8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - Canterbury films

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 10:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: Canterbury films
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:35 pm 
Film Expert

I recently recieved a collection of several films. Among them was a feature from Canterbury Films called 'Gorilla' with the Ritz Brothers. I know about Blackhawk, Ivy, Castle, Universal 8 and other companies but this is the first Canterbury print I have looked at. Can anyone give any input about this company? What they released, quality conditions? The print of Gorilla that I have has major contrast issues although I will say that the sound is perfect and the print's focus is very sharp. Still, the image is almost black in some scenes then normal in others, sometimes during the same scene. Not sure if it's a bad print or this was normal for the company. The seller, like his other films, bought this one new and only watched the first reel before putting it in a closet. His gripe was that the image jumped. Didn't have that problem myself but wasn't impressed with the contrast quality.
Anyone else have films from Canterbury and how do they rate? Maybe Blackhawk and Niles have spoiled me.
Also for perfectionists, this was presented on super 8 B&W Kodak safety film with a balance stripe.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Canterbury films
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:30 am 
Film Expert

I have at least one full episode of Star Trek TOS on super 8 from Canterbury Films. It's an OK print except for the fade off course. I think I have at least one other feature from them but I need to check that out. Printwise I would say they offered decent quality.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:52 pm 
Film Expert

I don't doubt the overall quality. My print of 'The Gorilla' has very sharp edges and very clear sound. The contrast was just all over the place though. Finally finished watching it tonight and some scenes are almost black but when the camera angle changed the image was normal and clearly daylight. Wasn't sure if the print wasn't right and maybe I got a bad one or if the company was more of a dupe printing place.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:33 am 
Film Expert

Canterbury Films was part of the public-domain film boom of the late 70's; it was run by a man named Leslie Brooks and was located in Great Neck, NY. They released a few features, a number of cartoons, and lots of trailers in both super 8 and 16mm sound. Canterbury differed from many other distributors in that their trailers were sold individually, rather than in combination reels. My experience was only with their 16mm product, but I always found their quality first rate in both picture and sound. I believe they used Cinemagnetics or some other major NYC area lab as manufacturer.

It could be that you have a lab "second" or "answer" print; Canterbury occasionally sold those individually at reduced prices.

I lost track of Les Brooks years ago; he may have gone into selling rare posters or comic books.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:51 pm 
Film Expert

You nailed it. The lable on the box says it was from Great Neck NY. It still looks like a release print though since the whole poster is printed on the lable surrounded several times by Canterburry films logos. It was printed by Cine Magnetics wich I also thought was odd since I have several of their printings and they are usually really high quality. I think they printed most Ken Films in the late 70's early 80's. I guess I just can't get over how bad of a print this is. Maybe Blackhawk spoiled me all these years.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:23 pm 
Film Expert

Thanks for your note. I'll admit being surprised that your print is a lemon; I was often in touch with Les Brooks during the years he ran Canterbury, and remember him as quite fussy about print quality. I own several Canterbury cartoons and shorts, and all are excellent. I guess yours might have been "one that got away."

I'm also surprised at your good luck with Niles Cinema products. During their operation, they had something of a schlock reputation. My own experience with Niles prints ranged from excellent (the Flash Gordon feature ROCKETSHIP) to awful (cartoons with almost non-existent sound or dark, grainy color.)

I understand that the gentleman who was once Niles' production manager has an online mailbox and is willing to answer questions about that company. Am going to try to contact him; if results are good, would you also wish to do so? :geek:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:15 am 
Film Expert

Quote:
I understand that the gentleman who was once Niles' production manager has an online mailbox and is willing to answer questions about that company. Am going to try to contact him; if results are good, would you also wish to do so?

I'm long past caring, but I'd like to ask him how come it was OK to take my money for a Super 8 print of BLUEBEARD, but never send the film. I later found that they had ceased to do business, but none of my letters were answered wondering what had happened.

Anyway, I had mostly awful prints from Niles, purchased before I realized the difference between what a film looks like because of the age of the original VS what a film looks like because it's so many generations away from it's original source (90% of the problem with most of their product).