8MM FORUM WORLDWIDE • View topic - Sankyo Sound-500

8MM-16MM FORUM WORLDWIDE

The International Forum for 8mm, 16mm, and 9.5mm film
Dedicated To Collectors Around The World
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Click on any of the boxes below to link to a new page

Screening Rooms    Ebay Film Sellers    Film/Equipment Sellers    Laurel and Hardy    Magnetic Striping

Our mission is to provide a "free" forum for all members. This forum will not delete, lock up, or edit any posts. On this forum, you are "free" to question any statement that is not understood, and debate any differences you have with another member. We only moderate when a member will not back up his accusations. There are no condescending attitudes from the Administrator or the Moderator. You will be treated with respect. Dan Lail, Admin. and Chris Smith, Moderator

Post subject: Sankyo Sound-500
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:09 am 
Film Expert

Hello everyone I'm new to the hobby. I just bought my first projector a Sankyo Sound-500 in like new shape(just needs a bulb) and was wondering if anyone knows anything about this model. Any pros and cons? is it junk or reliable? I paid $20 for it at a garage sale & am looking forward to running some films. Also what is the best resource for spare parts like bulbs & belts? Thanks, Ernie

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Sankyo Sound-500
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:52 pm 
Site Admin

Hi, Ernie and welcome to the forum.

I have had a few Sankyos before and was impressed with their quality. This model uses an EFM halogen lamp. Looks like these are readily available on Ebay for $5.00 and up:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=efm ... &_from=R40

I'm sure someone will chime in with more info about their experience with these projectors. in the meantime here are som specs I found:

Sankyo Sound 500
marketed in 1976-77
super 8 mm film
lens: Sankyo Zoom f: 1.4 \ F: 15-25 mm
lamp: 50 W, 8 V, EFM
reel capacity: 180 m
projection: forward, reverse
projection speed: 18, 24 fps, by selector switch
film loading: automatic threading
sound: magnetic playback on main sound track
sound mode: mono
sound control: volume, double rec
amplfier: 2 ICs, 5 Silicon transistors, 5 Silicon diodes
amplifier output: 4 W (6 Ohm)
frequency response: ?
sound recording: magnetic recording on main track
sound-on-sound: and sound fading
recording level control: auto (ALC)
input terminal: Microphone, Phono, DIN
input jacks: Mic, Phono: 3.5 mm diameter jack; DIN: 5-pin DIN (European type)
output terminal: Monitor, Line-out, DIN, External Speaker
output jacks: Monitor, Line-out: 3.5 mm diameter jack; DIN: 5-pin DIN (European type); Ext Sp: 6.5 mm diameter jack
built-in speaker: 4" diameter round speaker, 2 W (8 Ohm)
motor: ellectronically controled DC magnetic motor
power source: 100-110-117-125-200-240 V AC, 50/60 Hz, 130 W
weight: 8300 g
dimensions: 190 x 224 x 324 mm
made in Japan by Sankyo
presented at Photokina 1976

http://www.metroxpressjazz.com/index.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:46 pm 
Film Expert

Had one myself. Picture was sharp as it can be and the zoom lens is great. The lamps like Dan said are cheap and the main drive belt is easy to find. I know the other guys on here are sick of me saying this but if the belts break, take them to a local vaccume or sewing machine repair place. They will typically have the same size belts for half the cost of finding them online. If that doesn't work, take the broken belts to anyone who repairs copy machines. They are also the same belts.
As far as the lamp, use Ebay if you trust the seller. Otherwise you can try Interlight.com. That's where I've been getting the most obscure and mainline lamps for over 10 years.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:13 pm 
Film Expert

OK, got my bulb & bought a film(400ft of vampire trailers)I have the instructions & followed everything perfectlly but for some reason the as soon as I put the film in it would make a tangled mess.
As its feeding if I keep tension on the film as its entering it would thread nicely. Is this the nature of these machines or is there an adjustment for the auto feed. Now that I know its not that big of a deal, but still if theres an easy solution even better! By the way the trailers projected & sounded beautifully.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:40 pm 
Film Expert

I knew Dan would call me out on this. Haha. Yes, you have to keep the threading lever pushed down until the film exits the machine otherwise it will not get threaded through the film path. The film passes through the main sprocket, film gate, another guide curve, then the sound head. After that it passes the exit sprocket and once you see the film exit out the back then you can release the lever, unless you are using an autoload reel you can now release the lever and thread the film before turning it over to project. After that it is just focus and sit back and enjoy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:21 pm 
Film Expert

I noticed the sound is a little slow, is this a possible problem with a worn belt?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:55 am 
Film Expert

Okay. A few more things need to be looked at here. Do you have the projector running at 24fps? Also is the sound running slower than the picture or is the whole projector running slow? If the sound is slower than the picture than you should see film bunching up somewhere and probably ruining it. If the whole machine is running slow then there are several things that can be done to correct it. First, if you are running sound film then the speed must be 24 fps. The best way on this projector to check the belt is to take off the back cover. When you take it off, the belt is connected directly to the drive shaft. grab the belt with two fingers without stretching it pull it back and forth a bit. If it is tight and moves both pullies then that isn't the problem. If it is tight then you need to ckeck the motor contols. There is a small square electronics board with two pots, (potentiometers). One of them controls motor speed for 18fps and one for 24fps. Dan can help you find the board. While the projector is running you can adust each one for proper running speed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:33 pm 
Film Expert

Its running at 24fps & just changed the belts, it seems to be running real fast, actors sound like chipmunks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:53 pm 
Film Expert

Again Ernie, if you have been inside the projector then you've seen it's inner workings. There is a small electronic board with two potentiometers on it. One for 18Fps and one for 24Fps. Both can be adjusted with a flat-head screwdriver and should be adjusted while the projector is running to get to the right speed. As long as your belts are tight then you should be able to find the right control and set it to your preferance.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:17 am 
Film Expert

What exactly does it look like? I see a little box with a black plastic top with a slot that looks like I can turn it. There is two of coarse the one I can reach does nothing...probably controls the 18fps I can not get anything on the 2nd one.